Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Bob Hooper Purchase

I won #84 Bob Hooper in an auction in eBay a few days ago, and it arrived today.  I was pleasantly surprised that no one else bid on it, so I was able to grab it for the starting bid of $29.99.  I guess it's because the signature is personalized and kind of ugly and the card isn't in great shape either, but Hooper died in 1980, so the pickings are kind of slim.  He is one of two Canadians in the set, the other being #137 John Rutherford.  Incidentally, they are both from the same part of Ontario.  Their hometowns aren't that far from each other.  I don't know who "Larry" is; I wonder if he had brothers named Curly and Moe?

This purchase brings me to 103/274 (37.59%) on the set.  I'm trying to convince myself to sell off a few other pieces of my collection to fund more purchases, but that will probably have to wait until after finals.  I'm looking into moving some 1950's and early 1960's signed Topps cards I have, and a few unsigned 1933 Goudey's I've been holding on to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment