Saturday, April 4, 2015

Smokey Burgess Purchase, Carl Scheib, Frank Lary and Steve Mura Returns

I picked up #10 Smokey Burgess off eBay for the 102nd addition to my 1953 Topps project.  I'm now 37.23 % of the way there.  Burgess was a Phillie at the time, which meets my new goal of 1 new Phillie by the end of the year.  On the return side of the ledger, I talked myself in to picking up Carl Scheib's card from the 1949 Bowman set.  He signed it for free at his home in a little over a week. He was card #25, and is the 10th signed '49 Bowman I have.  Frank Lary signed his 1961 Topps card, #243 in about six months at his home in Alabama.  Lastly, Steve Mura signed his 1979 Topps rookie card, #725, in about a week c/o home.  He also included a signed custom card.  The front of the custom is his 1983 Topps card and the back is a logo commemorating the Cardinals 1982 World Championship.  I'm not sure if I'll complete the card; I haven't found a working address for Jim Beswick, and Broderick Perkins seems to be hit-or-miss, with very long wait times when he does sign.  If anyone has had success with either of those two, let me know!  I'd love to complete it.

No comments:

Post a Comment