Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Davey Williams

Picked up another 1953 Topps today: #120 Davey Williams, second baseman for the New York Giants.  This one I purchased from Brian at Autographed Baseball Cards Unlimited.  I've bought about 20 cards from ABC Unlimited for this set, and I can't say enough good things about them.  The prices are very competitive and fair, the shipping is lightning fast, and the customer service is excellent.  I go there first when shopping for this set, because I've found the prices are so much better than everywhere else.

Williams made the NL All-Star team in 1953, but his career was cut short after a back injury caused in a collision with Jackie Robinson.  Giants pitcher Sal Maglie had been throwing beanballs, and so Robinson bunted down the first base line with the intention of slamming into Maglie hard.  Maglie anticipated this and stayed on the mound, so instead Robinson took out Williams, who had gone to cover first.

This brings me to 70/274 (25.55%) completion. I have 67 of the cards on hand, and I'm waiting on three more that I ordered. In addition, I have three requests out and will get out a fourth once the Bob Del Greco card I ordered gets here. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment