Saturday, January 3, 2015

Some Dave Ferriss Signatures

I thought I'd take a break from posting signed cards, and post some other memorabilia I had.
The original owner noted that the Red Sox beat the Browns 5-0.  I checked baseball-reference, and it appears that this game was the first game of a doubleheader on July 21, 1946, with Dave 'Boo" Ferriss beating Tex Shirley.  Mr. Ferriss added the blue post-it note on the front when I sent this to him last July. It's also signed by Bobby Doerr.  Those two are the last living members of the 1946 team, which is the last Red Sox team to have won 100 games.  But since then, the team has won six pennants and three World Series, so I'll take it.
This is the cover from the October 1946 edition of Baseball Digest.  I have the rest of the magazine as well, it just got separated in the mail.  
I found the above picture of Ferriss online several years ago, and I did some digging and found the copyright was held by the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame.  So I emailed the curator, and asked if the museum could send me a copy.  She wrote back "I'll do you one better.  I am his daughter and will have him send you one".  About a week later, the signed photo arrived, postage paid, along with a signed note on my original email (had to crop out the email as it had my address)!  If you've ever sent anything to Mr. Ferriss, you know he really goes above and beyond for his fans.  He was also featured in the 1949 Bowman set, but he was a high number, so his cards are really difficult to come by.  I'd like to add one, but the cheapest one on eBay is $125, so I'll pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment