Friday, January 2, 2015

Leonard, Rivera, Addis and Terwilliger

Up next are #155 Dutch Leonard, #156 Jim Rivera, #157 Bob Addis, and #159 Wayne Terwilliger. Leonard was purchased; the others were all TTM.  Terwilliger charges a $5 fee.  On the back of his card, it notes that he served with the Marines at Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima.  I mentioned in my letter that I have a neighbor who was a Marine in Vietnam, and he wrote back on my letter "Semper Fi to your neighbor, and tell him thanks for his service".  I used to know another Marine who had also been at Saipan, and was wounded there.  He said of his experience that the Omaha Beach scene from Saving Private Ryan was the closest anyone will ever come to making a realistic war movie, and even then it still fell far short.  He added if anyone did make a realistic war movie, it would never be shown in theaters.  It was enough to make me glad to have been born in 1994, not 1924.  

No comments:

Post a Comment